An updated bathroom can increase the value of any home, and add a sense of retreat at the end of a long day. However, if you have a very small bathroom, it can be difficult to know where to start the remodeling process. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
1. Lower the lighting. While having a large overhead light might seem like a good way to see what you are doing in the bathroom, using a dropped light fixture that is closer to eye level creates a more intimate space. This can make a small bathroom seem more homey and less claustrophobic.
2. Change the mirrors. Mirrors add the illusion of space to any room. If your goal is to make the bathroom seem larger, choose a large unframed mirror. This will give the appearance of increased space. However, if your goal is to play on the small size of the bathroom, a framed mirror can add visual interest.
3. Use a wall-mounted toilet. If having a small space is a big concern, you can add a few inches to the toilet area by changing from a traditional toilet to a wall-mounted one. This can give you more room to move around, or sit comfortably.
4. Update the sink. A traditional bathroom sink with a vanity and lots of cabinets takes up a lot of space. If you are trying to expand your bathroom real estate, removing the hard lines of a large vanity can add a lot of extra area. A pedestal sink or a bowl-style sink on an open shelf can increase your floor space, as well as add visual interest to the room.
5. Add modern tile. Marble or granite tile can add a luxurious feeling to a bathroom space. For a spa-like feel, wrap the entire wall in a neutral colored tile. Avoid using retro colors or patterns such as pink or blue with diamond accents. This can make your bathroom appear dated and dirty. Instead, look for colors such as charcoal grey, white, hunter green, slate, and khaki.
6. Match the paint palette with the tile. Rather than choosing a contrasting color of paint, choose one that closely matches the tile color. This will give the appearance of continued lines, rather than stops in the design, and make your bathroom look larger and more modern.
7. Lose the shower curtain. Adding a clear glass door to the shower can give the appearance of a larger space. Just make sure to use a frame-less style, so that it blends in with the walls. If you are unable to invest in a glass door, use a decorative shower curtain rod, and a solid colored shower curtain that coordinates with the color scheme of the bathroom, but make sure that you tie it back when it is not in use. This will give a clear line of vision into the tub or shower, making the space seem bigger.
Even small bathrooms need a bit of loving attention. Giving your bathroom a face-lift is a great way to improve your property value, and add a spa-like feel to your home. For more information, contact Two by Four Construction LLC or a similar company.